VISION: The vision of the department is to train and lead high level Engineering Technologists and Technicians for enhanced safety of human lives and properties beyond the work environment, and alleviate poverty in Nigeria by the year 2020.
MISSION: The department utilizes qualified manpower, prescribed program curriculum, available workshops, Laboratories, Audio visual studios with adequate resources to produce high and middle class Industrial Safety and Environmental Engineering personnel through teaching, practical, Field trips, use of Resource persons, Research and Development at the cutting edge of technology to project her mandate.
PHILOSOPHY OF THE DEPARTMENT: The general overview, realities and principles of Industrial Safety & Environmental Engineering Technology in the Nigerian Army Institute of Technology and Environmental Studies are based on human capital development. Also, ensuring that workers return home the same physical and mental conditions they left for work. Proper utilization of values and materials as well as sustenance and development of the environment and natural resources in line with the global trend on Safety & Environmental profession via Occupational Safety and Health (OSH), Health, Safety & Environment (HSE), Safety Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Ergonomics, Water & Waste water Engineering, Pollution Studies, Soil & Water Engineering, etc.
The programme is more so, established to emphasize the application of practical and theoretical knowledge of engineering to the solutions of Safety and Environmental problems in our societies. This philosophy will crave your indulgence that the world depends on Safety and it can be actualized through NAITES contributing her quota by producing Safety & Environmental experts competent to promote technological, industrial and rural development in a disciplined learning environment.
PROGRAMME OBJECTIVES: The general objectives of the program are as follows:
- To train technologists/technicians with a stern foundation in Mathematics, Sciences and technical skills required to analyze and design Industrial Safety and Environmental Engineering systems.
- To produce experts familiar with current and emerging global environmental issues and having an understanding of safeguarding these challenges.
- To train technologists/technicians who will promote, inculcate and encourage safety knowledge in the environment and to enforce standards and ethics in the practice of Safety & Environmental principles.
- To produce experts who constantly research and review current Safety and Environmental principles and methods.
- To train technologists/technicians capable of protecting the Health, Safety & Welfare among workforce both in public and private sectors.
- To train students who can manage and conserve effectively natural and man-made resources and the environment.
- To produce personnel to feature on projects of an interdisciplinary nature through applying diverse set of skills to solve accident and related problems in the workplace environment.
- To train students who are capable of competing favourably in the job market, as well as being self-employed and further become employers of labour in the economy.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS: Admission requirement into National Diploma (ND) Programme in the department of Industrial Safety and Environmental Engineering is a minimum of Five (5) O’ Level Credits in not more than two (2) sittings in WAEC, NECO or NABTEB, which must include Mathematics, English Language, Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Agricultural Science, Health Science, Geography, Technical Drawing.
NBTE APPROVED LIST OF COURSES OFFERED IN THE DEPARTMENT:
CAREER OPPORTUNITIES: Graduates of the Department of Industrial Safety and Environmental Engineering Technology may expect good employment opportunities in the following areas:
- Being a lucrative discipline, graduates of the department can favourably be self-employed and be an employer of labour to boost the economy, which is being a job giver instead of job seekers.
- Graduates can gainfully be useful in interdisciplinary sectors cut across every workplace where human activities and equipment are utilized to ensure accident free work.
- Safety and Environmental personnel responsibilities cannot be over emphasized in the multi-national oil and Gas sector of the economy to ensure safety of workers and their working equipment and sustenance of the environment where these activities take place in the downstream, midstream and upstream sectors.
- Safety & Environmental professional are required to occupy vital positions in the Federal and State Ministries and Agencies such as; the Federal and State Ministries of Environment, Interior, Transport, Works, Labor and Productivity, Agricultural and Rural Development, Petroleum, Power, Water Resources, just to mention a few.
- Federal and State Agencies and Parastatals such as Environmental Sanitation Authority, NEMA, NESREA, FAAN, NPA, River Basin Authorities, FRSC, Fire service, NIMASA, and so many others.
- Safety & Environmental expects are very relevant in the Military for their expertise as qualified First-Aiders to carter for casualties on mission, rescue operations as a result of their vast knowledge in Occupational Health and Hygiene, they are useful especially in Engineering corps, Medical corps, Infantry, Armory Corps, etc.
- Engineering Consulting Firms.
- Institutions: Universities, Polytechnics, Research and Development and other places of higher learning.
- Service Providing Firms: Waste handling, Environmental facilities operations, Pollution Control and Management, Environmental Impact Assessment, etc.
- Public and Private Establishments.
Boma HorsfallAg. HOD
Qualification: (B.Tech) Agric & Environmental Engineering, Rivers State University of Science and Technology.
Areas of Interest: Environmental Engineering, Ergonomics, Engineering Thermodynamics, CAD.
Capt. CB Samuel (N/13319)Lecturer
Qualification: (B. Tech) Federal University of Agriculture, Umudike
Areas of Interest: Natural Resources Conservation and Science & Properties of Materials.
Christiana Peter OlotuLecturer
Qualification: (HND) Federal Polytechnic, Bauchi
Areas of Interest: Technical Report Writing and Basic Workshop Practice.
Francis Akpevwe UnuameLecturer
Qualification: (HND) Ind. Safety & Environmental Engineering Tech, Petroleum Training Institute PTI, Effurun.
Areas of Interest: Industrial Safety Engineering, Safety in Transportation.
Amarachi NnaemekaConfidential Secretary
Postal and Visiting Address: Department of Industrial Safety & Environmental Engineering Technology, Nig. Army Institute of Technology & Environmental Studies, PMB 102272, NASME Barracks, Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria.